Thursday, July 30, 2009

When shit happens, friends and family are there. . . but why did I have to be on both ends?

If you are eating, stop. Or if you are about to eat, it would be a wise decision to postpone this post.
Last night I learned something about our house:
ALL the water lines are connected.
I was upstairs making dinner, when Matt came up and told me:
"You won't believe what happened."
"What?" I say
"When I flushed the toilet, it came back up through the shower drain!"
The reason he knows, is because he was taking a dump - if it were the other, I doubt he would have noticed.
So imagine THAT comming up the drain.
Yeah, that is what I had to deal with.
We then proceeded to argue about who should clean it up, and he then anounced he had to go to work.
I got mad. That is all I will say.(Hello! He left me a plie of poop to clean up!)

I called my parents, and they said to call an old plumer friend, who, luckly lives up the street. I told them (red faced) what happened, and he said that he would be right over.
It was kind of like going to the gynocologist: I had to remind myself that he had seen these things before, and it was no big deal that he was wallowing around in our waste. . . EWWWW! Even NOW it disgusts me!!! (I was still really emarassed though.)
He had a huge snake that he used to fix it, and then he gave me a break, and only charged me $100.
I said thank you the whole time he was backing out of the driveway.
I was just starting to clean up, when I heard the doorbell ring.
It was his wife, comming to return the check. I argued with her for a long time, saying that was his job, and he most definetly should get paid for wallowing around in unpleasentness.
She told me that is what friends are for, it only took him 15 min., and that she remembers what it was like starting out, and knew we could use the money for something else.
Makes me a little wet in the eye to know there are still people like that. :)
I still plan on getting them a gift card, and baking them a peach pie, just as a thank you.
(I hope the husband wasn't mad that she made him give it back!!!)

No comments: