Friday, February 12, 2010

A good day

today was one of the best days I have had in a long time. At work, they had a vollunteer oppertunity to go help a childrens home celebrate valentines day. Kids there have been beaten, assulted, neclected and abused. Needless to say, they haven't really celebrated much in their lives.
But today was different.
Today, me and 3 co-workers requisitioned $50 worth of candy and went to meet other target employees who wanted to help throw the kids a valentines day party. We set up little game booths that they could play, and every kid got a prize; 2 peices of candy and a valentines day pencil. The booths consisted of face painting, (I got mine done too!) sack toss, ring toss, basket ball, and the best booth, hehem, was we gave them a little rubber ball and they tossed it into a mail box.
It was so much fun cheering and encoraging the kids on! Some kids didn't really know what to do with positive emotions, so they just kept their frown on, but I knew they appreciated it. Like Betty White said on The Golden Girls, "A frown is just a smile turned upside down!"
Some of the kids were really upset when their turn was up, but we just said, "You did so good, though! Now let this kid try!" And they took their candy and either watched the next kid, or walked away to find other stations to play.
The face painting was the funniest. All the boys had huge snakes painted on, like they were really tough stuff. What did I get?
A butterfly!!!



I thought it was so pretty, I wore it to work the rest of the day.
The best part was this girl, about 9 or 10 walked up to our booth and I commented on her lovely face painting. She smiled and said thankyou. She kept comming back around, and when her class was leaving, she came up to me, thanked me, and just kind of stood there.
I held open my arms and she came and gave me a hug! I told her how nice it was meeting her, and that I hoped that she had a happy Valentines day.
It was so nice to know that one little compliment had made her day. She sure made mine.
Driving home, I couldn't help but think about how this was really close to not happening. I was the only one signed up, and I had to go, person to person, and ask them to come with me. Alot of people didn't want to go, and I can see why.
Yes, its scary volunteering where you don't know anyone.
Yes, its scary to have the abused kids right up in front of you, so that you can't ignore it.
Yes, it is terrifying, but these kids have only known hardship and sadness; they need to see the good in the world. It never hurt anyone to be a little uncomfortable.


1 comment:

Heather In Progress said...

That is so wonderful! I hear about and see some really awful stuff happening to kids at my middle school sometimes, but then I think that it only takes one positive interaction, one compliment, one encouragement to turn their whole day (or more) around!