Monday, August 2, 2010

Texas State History Museum

Branched out today, and went on an adventure!
I really have been wanting to go to the Texas Museum since we have been here, but Matt isn't really a big history buff, so I had to take a day and go on my own. Much more difficult than it seems though, because to get there, you have to drive downtown, which is full of one way streets, weird parking, and pedestrians everywhere.
I finally felt comfortable enough to go there today. Hurray for me!
Finding a place to park was a nightmare, but after I did, I was on my way in.

There is this HUGE star right infront of it. Its kind of intimidating, actually. I guess everything is bigger in Texas.
Looked around for a bit, ok, a 2 hour bit, and by that time I was freezing. People here keep their air conditioners up too high! My lips were blue!
The history started out with the native americans that were inhabiting Texas until all the Spanish came and took it over. Then the mexicans took it over. Then the anglos took it over. Then the germans took it over. Finally, it merged with the United states, and they were right back to being seperated again because they sided with the south in the civil war, who were "seperate" from the union of the U.S. It went through the Alamo (we lost) and the capture of Sana Anna, (the guy who won the alamo, hah!) to women who participated during the women's rights movement, and finally, to the cowboy.
This was the most interesting part, because it is what captured people's attention. As much as it is romanacized in Hollywood, the cowboy's (also known as vacaros) life was a hard one. However, with the publication and advertizement of open range, endless acers, and the cowboy, people flocked here.



I was having a great time until I went back through to take pictures for my bolg. Then this old, shrivled lady came and said I wasn't alowed to take pictures. You old prune, I still got some - HAH!

No comments: