Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ok, for all of you writers out there who have a bachalors, masters, or just love to write, this is for you. An article was published in Self magazine this month, (it has Jessica Alba on the cover,) and it talks about this girl who has a masters in creative writing and is working at a grocery store.
It is fantastic!
I have been complaining for months that I have a bachalors and am stuck at a dead end retail job. This article made me feel better.
It is about this girl who, although works at a grocery store, has more time to write. In the article, it describes how she used to have a "respected" job as a teacher, but it was way stressful, and it didn't leave her any time for her own writing because she was so busy teaching other people to write. The job was stress filled nothingness for her, and she didn't even get to do what she wanted to to: write.
So now, working at a grocery store, she has more than 30 hours a week just to write, and not worry about anything. Of coarse, the age-old question comes up "you got a masters degree to stock cat food?"
Well, of coarse not, but why snuff at the hand that feeds you?

As much as I complain that I don't like my job, it is a job, and there are worse ones out there. It gives me and my husband great health insurance, and it gives me leave if ever a crisis comes up. It puts food on the table, lets me get my family some extra goodies, and helps me meet people. Plus, as the author said, I get more time to write!
Hummm . . . I was kind of inspired today at church, as well as this article. I think I will try to combine the two and make a brand new blog.
why not read the bible, and for every time I read, I have to find a passage I want to write about and how it relates into everyday life.
That sounds good!

By the way, to any of my fellow workers, I hate my job. I think if I were a non manager, it would be ok, but then I would be complaning that I don't even have a manger spot and working for mim wage with a bac. degree. I am never happy. I HATE MY JOB!!!

Ok, I feel better now.

No comments: